Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Templates gone bad

I walked in to Fairbanks Fast Foto just knowing that it would only take me about 30 minutes to load these 24 folders (24 folders = 24 templates) with 4 files each into three machines and I would be on my way. My ego was telling me to just go ahead and load all the files on all three machines and then test them. Something stopped me from loading all the files instead I decided to just load 1 template and make sure that it worked. Copied the files onto the computer ran the photo kiosk software and it worked. I saw my jpeg on the menu and was able to insert a picture into the template and order my christmas greeting card.
Next step was to load the rest of the templates and then test each one of them one by one. After I copied the files I restarted the photo kiosk software and saw all my jpegs show up on the template menu. I almost stopped right there, but I decided to select a different template from the first one. I selected a different template but the wrong template appeared. The first template appeared. It was that way for every template selected. I immediately went to the .xml and started looking for errors. I decided to delete the template that all the other ones were defaulting to, just to see what would happen. The next template in line just took it place so all the other templates now were opening up the new template. It did it even with only two templates loaded and in different folders. It took me an hour but I finally figured it out. The photo kiosk did not like the way I had named my files. Here is an example of how the original templates were named 65234_christmas_4x8_v.png mine were named 3BB71_graduation_4x8_v.png. All my templates had the same 3BB part in the filename. Once I changed the BB to 22 it worked just fine. My guess is the photo kiosk software expects the first part of the file nameto be unique numerically. The software only saw one file. I was able to rename about 16 of the templates files before I had to leave due to the store closing. I will go by tomorrow to finish the job and update the blog.
I did test all templates before I left and everything worked fine.

No comments: