Thursday, March 8, 2007

Greeting Cards Template: Part Two

I don't have Photo Shop to create these new template files, but my Linux box has Gimp. Gimp is just like Photo Shop but for Linux and without the price tag. The work I have been doing on these templates is most I have done with photo editing software. Its just not my thing, but I am learning a lot. The first thing I had to do was change those .psd files to .png files.

This was not that hard to do. The Gimp software was able to open the .psd file, which I learned is the photo shop file extension. I opened the .psd file and made sure that the measurement were correct and then saved the file as a .png. Not to bad this is going to be easy.

The task was to create the .xml file that provides the instructions for the photo kiosk. The .xml file is pretty simple to follow. It contains information about the file names, photo location, text location, and fonts. Not all the templates are the same so not only are the file names different but where the photo is located on the template is different. The .xml tells the kiosk software where the photo is measured in inches. The .icon files are text files that basically contain the information about where to put the photo and text, but those numbers were in pixels and not inches. Once I figured that out I had to convert the pixel numbers to inches and then plug them into the .xml file that I have created to use for the new templates.

The final step was to create the .jpeg image for the menu. I had to put the two images together and then resize them to an appropriate size. I had to then flatten the .png image in order to store it as a .jpeg file. Now everything is done. I only need to put the files on the kiosk and see if they work.

No comments: